Published on: December 21, 2012
Free Legal Advice
Q. I am a new non-profit/NGO and I am looking for a lawyer to look at my legal documents. Am I able to get such a service for free? Or something even better maybe?
A. Yes, you are able to receive legal advice and services for free if you meet the criteria for each scheme. The Pro Bono Services Office (PBSO), under the ambit of Law Society of Singapore, assists in providing free legal assistance to those in need in our community. Brief details of the PBSO’s schemes are set out below.
1) Project Law Help – This scheme assists voluntary welfare organisations (VWOs) by matching a VWO with a volunteer law practice to provide pro-bono, non-litigation commercial legal advice. To see if your organisation is eligible for this scheme, click on the following link – www.lawsociety.org.sg/probono/project_law_help/eligibility.aspx.
The volunteer law practice will assist the VWO with advice on legal matters including:
- Corporate Law (e.g. advice on contracts with suppliers, indemnity agreements for corporate sponsors and drafting pledges for donors);
- Employment Law (e.g. drafting or reviewing employment contracts);
- Intellectual Property Law (e.g. advice on copyright, data protection and website use);
- Property Law (e.g. lease terms); and
- Other legal matters which are in progress or where court litigation is not a viable option.
2) Community Organisation Legal Clinic – For community organisations seeking basic legal advice and information on operational issues, you can seek help from our Community Organisation Legal Clinic (COLC). COLC is conducted twice a month, on every first and third Fridays except on Public Holidays, from 1pm to 2pm. COLC scheme assists an eligible organisation in consulting a qualified lawyer on a one-to-one basis in a 30-minute session without charge. For more information on the COLC, including the registration process, please visit our website at www.lawsociety.org.sg/probono/COLC.aspx.
For further enquiries, feel free to e-mail PBSO at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shahrany Hassan is the director of community relations at the Pro Bono Services Office, The Law Society of Singapore.